The ice fishing technique dates back to as far as the humans started to venture into snow covered regions on earth while searching for food. The science behind the experience of catching fish applies both the principles of environmental science and physics of states of matter.
The important reason as to why people yearn to know how to ice fish arises from experiencing different fishing environments and the satisfaction of conquering the adverse conditions on earth to survive.
What Entails Ice Fishing?
The definition of ice fishing in simple terms involves the technique used to collect fish living under the ice on water bodies using various drilling methods. The skill in the recent past serves as a leisure method of fishing with very few fishermen doing it for commercial purposes. Ice fishing remains attributed to cold weather conditions and only to the courageous individuals.
What Science Principles Relate To Ice Fishing?
- The first principle tries to explain why ice floats on water and yet it remains robust. Ice floats on water since its density compared to that of water remains significantly low thus it floats. The volume of water that ice sits and the thickness and determines whether you will walk on ice or simply sink into the freezing water.
- The second principle aims to identify the survival conditions that fish need to mature without the possibility of death due to cold. The ice on top of water bodies acts as an insulator ensuring that the water bodies covered with frozen water do not solidify to the bottom. Hence, the fish have the chance to survive under water with the help of ice and the constant temperature of the water they swim inside.
How Prepare For Ice Fishing?
The best site to ice fish ensures that you remain safe while trying to catch fish and the thickness of the ice is critical in determining your safety. Majority of states allow ice fishing and a water pond or lake covered it might be necessary to get the legal permit to undertake fishing. The type of fish that you desire to catch also acts as the driving force behind the location to fish and electronic fish finders remain necessary for any expedition.
b. Transport means
A fisher should have ease of movement when fishing to be successful, and this trickles downs to fishing on ice as well. The various methods that you can employ while moving on surfaces covered with frozen water surfaces include hand held Geolocation devices to help you know where you move to and stay. Machines such as snowmobiles and ATVs have helped not only fishers but individuals living in snow areas to move efficiently.
The possibility of endangering your safety remain high in the instance of fishing alone creating the need for a company when ice fishing. In remote areas when you get lost or fall into the water, a friend will be crucial to pull you out of water or find rescue in case of emergencies. Having the right warm clothing protects you from the harsh weather conditions when ice fishing while floating devices will keep you on top of the water when you fall inside.
What Gear TO Use During Ice Fishing?
The fishing beginners who desire to learn how to ice fish must have the following equipment to have an easy time while ice fishing;
- Ice spud- It helps you to check on the surface you step on whether it holds your weight while walking. The spud taps the ice and listening skills contribute to discern if the ice will hold you.
- Ice shanties- These portable shelters provide a place to sit on while waiting for the fish to be hooked and protects you from the wind.
- Ice chisel- This apparatus remains the must have for ice fishing to be successful. This Ice tool drill holes on ice surfaces to create an opening to the water below the ice surface.
- Ice scoop- The spade-like item scoops ice from around the drilled hole to get a good fishing hole.
- Rod and Reel-Used to catch the fish.
- Bait and lures to attract your fish.
- Enough supplies to make your life comfortable while ice fishing the whole day, e.g ice fishing boot, ice fishing line, ice fishing glove, ice auger, etc.
How To Ice Fish
To choose the right spot for fishing to identify the hiding places along a water body that fish hide. The fishing locations remain the same during fall or winter hence during fall when the water has no ice covering it, know decisively where fish hide and feed frequently.
The ice upon which you plan to drill the ice hole should be thick enough, around six inches, to hold your weight. The ice chisel serves its purpose to drill holes over the surface of the ice and ensure you get access to the bottom of the water.
Using the ice scoop ensure you get a perfect hole to ice fish and in case the hole does not have the best features for fishing, drill other holes. The scoop should help you get out the snow that falls in the water.
The depth of the water aids in determining the length of line that sinks into the fishing ice hole. A sinker at the end of the line will determine the distance to the bottom of line accurately to use when fish. Ensure the length of the line does not stay at the bottom but rather a few inches above when you place the bobber.
The types of bait you apply to ice fishing depend on the types of fish you desire to catch. The perfect baits and lure have small weights at the end of the line. Place the line into the hole and wait. While waiting, you can prop your fishing rod or set up other lines in different locations.
In the event the line has a fish hooked at the end, ensure that you reel it out of the water slowly. The line should reel completely before unhooking and storing the fish.
a. The line that you apply when fishing should be oiled to ensure that the ice does not stick on it to make it weighty and cause drag when reeling.
b. When ice fishing, identify holes used previously as the likelihood of making a catch remains high on previously used holes.
c. Your safety should highly become a priority when fishing on ice surfaces that remain thin and always have fishing licenses to avoid fines and penalties from the authorities.
d. When ice fishing, high levels of attentiveness on the environment remain the thin line between successful fishing expeditions and your life.
Ice Fishing tips
Check out our article here:
There exists no excuse for a person not to enjoy ice fishing with friends and family while the at the same time as a way of sharpening the fishing skills you possess. The experience attained from ice fishing remains embedded in the minds of professional and beginner fishers who look to explore the art of ice fishing and get consistent success each time they fish.
The fish caught serve as food and when not necessary you can practice the catch and release exercise to enjoy fishing and ensure the continuity of the many fish species.