Fish is a delicious meal anytime and a great source of protein too, and a bass is no difference. You may also want to know that it is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which is medically ideal consumption because it possesses the ability to prevent heart diseases, curb blood pressure and lowers bad cholesterol. Bass contains vitamins A and D, which helps the body fight free radical damage, boost immunity and maintains good vision.
From my personal experience, fresh water bass seems to be a favorite catch among fishermen. I also think that when a bass is properly cleaned and cooked with the right sauce, it will answer the question people ask me – can you eat bass?
Regardless of how you want it done; baked, grilled, broiled, or pan fried. Bass is a good eat. And unlike other sea foods with luxurious preparation, a bass is affordable and easy to prepare. Take this warning from me; just don’t overcook it, just cook the filet for 10 minutes (that is, per every inch of thickness).
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
Depending on how you want it, there are different ingredients needed:
- Bass fillets with the lateral line and skin removed.
- One large egg that has been separated into white and yolk.
- One cup of flour- One teaspoonful of salt.
- Peanut or vegetable oil- About 12 corn tortillas.
- Two limes.
- I use kosher salt.
- Green or red cabbage that is finely shredded.
- A cup of beer or water.
- Freshly grounded pepper (black).
- Fresh chorizo sausage.
- Chopped chipotles in adobo.
- Crema Mexicana.
- Olive oil
Note that crema Mexicana and chipotles in adobo are readily available in most Latin markets.
Step To Step To Preparing Your Bass
Proper Cleaning Of The Fish, If It Is Self-Caught, Is Not Negotiable.
After removing the head, fins and tail, cut the bass open and take out the gut. Carefully slice the skin off, making sure not to cut off the meat while slicing. Check properly to make sure you have removed all the bones by filleting the fish.
Remember To Season Both Sides Of The Fish With Salt And Pepper.
I use kosher salt and black pepper. But often times I alternatively use lemon pepper and Hawaiian pink salt. This is my method, you can figure out how you want yours to be.
There Are Different Ways To Get Your Bass Into A Yummy State.
Baked With Onion And Butter
I know of people who likes their fish baked. For my bass, I place fillets in a baking dish with butter on top. Then cover them with some garlic powder and sliced onions. And finally, cook it in my microwave for few minutes. Simple and quick!
Simply spray the grill with non-stick cooking spray, put the grill on to medium-high heat. And just for 5 minutes per inch of thickness, lay the bass on the grill and you are good to go. Don’t forget to brush the bass with olive oil and season it on both sides with salt and pepper.
Pan Fry Your Bass By Coating The Bottom Of A Skillet With Olive Oil.
- The oil is ready when you can smell the scent.
- Carefully place your bass into the pan and fry it for 10 minutes. If the thickness of your fillet is about 1 inch while frying it, turn the fish every 5 minutes (i.e., turn it twice, considering that cooking time is 10 minutes).
- Use any herb and spice you prefer to season the bass as it cooks.
Enter your text here…
You Could Broil It By Adjusting The Rack Of The Broiler To Its Highest Setting.
- With a nonstick cooking spray, coat a broiling rack and place the fish on it.
- Broil the bass fish for approximately 2 to 3 minutes, until the top starts turning brown.
- Flip the bass and boil for the same 2 to 3 minutes.
- To avoid your bass from being scorched or dried out, carefully watch the time because the bass will continue to cook for minutes after being removed from the broiler.
At the end, just flake easily with a fork.
To Bake Your Bass, Turn Your Oven To 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
Get the bass greased with oil and season it with your favorite spice. Pour very little wine into the baking dish, sprinkle a chili powder on top.
I will advise you to bake it until it is translucent and can be flaked easily with a fork.
For Those Who Will Love To Make It Latin
- Mix the crema Mexicana and the chipotles adobo sauce to make what is called the chipotle crema. Put it into a food processor until it is smooth and pinkish in color.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a skillet, slice the chorizo, peel off and chop the thin casting. While cooking the chorizo, use a wooden spoon to break the meat into bean-size pieces. Allow it for about 5 minutes to get very crispy, then drain and set it aside.
- Serve by placing two pieces of the bass on a warm tortilla. Top with dollops of salsa, cabbage, and crema, to taste.
From the article, it is very clear that bass fish can be served in varieties and enjoyed, thus, the question has been answered.
Drop your comments in the comment box and click the share button to pass the information to family and friends.