Imagine you needed a hex and wrench key to remove all the screws of furniture but you don’t have one with you. You can use a screwdriver to remove it or even unscrew it with your fingers. Needless to say it is much more efficient when removed with the right tools rather than alternatives that work but not as well as the designated tool. Similarly, it is crucial to have to right tools when you are fishing.
In this article, we will talk about the features that make a good crankbait rod and we have reviewed our top 5 picks for the best crankbait rods.
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
What Is A Crankbait Rod?
Crankbait rods come in various size, colors and shapes. You can separate crankbait from other by noticing its lip in the front is plan for it to sail through water and get down the lure.
Another noticeable thing about these rods is that they have two big hooks at the bottom. It may look like those hooks will get stuck at a piece of water plant of weed, but it doesn’t happen as the lure travels with its bill first.
What Makes A Good Crankbait Rod?
The most important design feature in a crankbait rod is its taper. The taper determines its rod action. Various actions in the rod are used for different purposes. The rods action usually determines the stiffness or flexibility of the rod to catch or hook the fish.
Actions range from extra fast action to extra slow action. If you are trying long casts fast action rod might not be your best option.
They range from 6 and a half feet to 8 feet. Short rods are more precise and longer rods are useful for longer casting.
Crankbait rod with a thick diameter at its shaft narrows the quick action making it a quick action rod.
Reels are effective when used at many angles that reels with 4:1 or 5:1 ratios to slow the crankbait and provides more power to crankbait big fish. Get the reel with a lot of line capacity to brave the winds.
Finding The Right Crankbait
There are a few tips for shopping the crankbait rods to suit your needs:
- Soft to medium action rods are good to hook the bass.
- Soft action is ideal when you want to be consistent when there is a bass in the hook to keep the tension to the same amount. It also makes longer cast easier.
- Fast rods to not bend at the tip of the rod.
- Medium action bends at the center of the blank.
- Slow action crankbait rods will bend near the butt.
- When you are checking the line strength, the size ranges from 6 to 30 pounds and crankbait will go deeper if it’s light. A heavier one fights better when it’s stuck or lures bass and is easier around a structure.
Top 5 Best Crankbait Rod Reviews On The Market 2018
*Below, you’ll find our more detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to see current prices or read customer reviews on Amazon.
Shimano came out with the Sellus series and this particular model is made for the bass fishermen. It is light and yet powerful. Many have used it and love the grip it has.
- It has a unique worm and jig action standing out from its competitors.
- The makers have used 24-ton carbon to make it light and also increasing sensitivity.
- Reel seats make the rod easy to handle and give you a great grip.
- It has low profile aluminum oxide, custom made EVA split grip and laser etched technique badge.
- Power is medium heavy.
- Action is extra fast.
- Rear grip length is 9.5-inch split grip.
- They tend to sell out very quickly and very few are available.
Designed by Denny Brauer, a Bassmaster Classic winner, this medium action rod has been personally designed by him to match any kind of angle to lure the bass. It is tested on lakes like Falcon and Amistad. It claims to deliver the high-end performance and can be tried for different techniques out on the water.
- It is a 7 foot 6-inch rod with medium action and cork split handle.
- Designed to provide a slower action also that improves hook by eliminating and friction.
- The Fuji reel seats have a concrete but super light base.
- The high end IM8 graphite rod provides the best sensitivity and hold.
- It has a moderate to light action than the standard action.
- The rod may be more like a bait casting reels with finger grips which might not be preferred by some bass fishermen.
Kevin VanDam, the most popular BASS giant is a leader in the industry when it is about cranking. This new model Quantum Fishing KVD Cranking rod is consistent to improve the crankbait fish. The rod is made up of blended E-glass and carbon to provide glass actions.
Carbon provides the sensitivity and back support to the rod. There are many bait rods in the series that the fishermen can pick from depending on their techniques and needs. There are crankbait rods ranging from shallow water to deep diving and quick to fast actions.
- Designed by the best brand and used by many regular crankbait fishermen.
- Light EVA grip.
- EGC constructed crankbait rod.
- Fuji ACS and VSS reel seat that increases sensitivity.
- Custom selected PacBay guides with Halo inserts.
- It might be heavy due to its graphite rod for those who prefer super light rods.
Lew’s David Fritts perfect crankbait rods are made with the 42 million modulus graphite/glass mixed blanks. They have 7 models in the series which provide a medium for heavy action.
They range from 6.8” to 7.11”. Lure rating range from 1/4th to 3. You have a lot of options to choose from. The blend of many materials is effective as it uses the right material for each part of the rod.
- Its make is truly unique due to its parabolic blend of glass and strength added by the use of graphite in it.
- It has a stainless steel frame guides with aluminum oxide which helps with long bait casts.
- It has stainless steel cushioned hooks made for comfort all day long.
- High density EVA butt caps.
- These are good but there are some other products that come in the same price range.
Its Dri-Tac technology provides split grip which is easy to use in multiple weathers and gives a good control over the rod. It is a medium heavy rod with a moderate taper.
It is perfect to send crankbaits to a longer distance and combines the power with a nice medium to fast action.
- It’s made of a high-quality IM8 graphite one-piece rods.
- It is designed in the American Tackle Guide system which reduces the wind distractions and improves casting length and precision.
- It has graphite reel seats patented by Lew.
- Split grip designed by a premium brand.
- Ideal to be used by a beginner and can be used over a wide range of water bodies.
- The tip is a little stiff.
Want to learn some tricks to cast out the rod and crank it back? Get yourself one of these crankbait rods and learn them easily. If you want to rejoice the next time you go crankbait fishing, be sure to pick one of the crankbait rods and you will not be disappointed. You will wish you had gotten yourself one of these crankbait rods sooner.
Crankbaits will be useful in any water body where there is bass. Like we said in the beginning, as long as you have the right tools you will enjoy fishing even more. We are certain you will have good time crankbait fishing if you get a right rod that will cater to your needs. Crankbait rods can be used all year long so you will not regret spending time researching to find the best crankbait rod for you.
Read more: Best Lipless Crankbait